Thursday, October 24, 2013

Ooooooohhh... On the TLC Tip!

Earlier this week, VH-1 premiered ‘CrazySexyCool:  The TLC Story,’ a biopic of one of the best-selling groups of all time. 

I was super excited about the movie! I have loved TLC from the time I heard their very first song in the 90s. As I watched the movie, me and my friend Miracle, traded our best TLC memories and experiences.  It was then that I realized, or maybe simply remembered, just why I was a superfan.  Like me, the girls were all about sisterhood and being a leader. And then there was the drama!

While drama is not my thing, it was a key element in the appeal and success of TLC.  I like to think of drama as the fourth member of the group.  There was always something going on with them:  a shady boss, money issues, men and problems with those men, illnesses, domestic violence, you name it.  And while they brushed each incident off and kept it moving like nothing happened, there was always the constant presence of drama. Let’s face it, drama sells!

It wasn’t until Lisa died that the drama slowed down. The fact that they never replaced her, or even tried, is a testament to the sisterhood among them.  Interview after interview, they’ve always maintained that they weren’t band mates, or friends, they were sisters.  They loved each other, hated each other, worked on each other’s damn nerves but through it all supported and stood by each other.  Their sisterhood was so real you could see it in their interactions; you can still see it with T-Boz and Chilli.  What makes it all the more interesting is that the girls weren’t friends before joining the group.  They each auditioned and were selected for the role, based on what they could bring to the group.  Talk about fate!

The cool thing about TLC is that the girls were allowed to express their individuality within the group i.e. Crazy, Sexy, Cool, and together they became pop culture leaders.  They were silly and fun, yet outspoken about safe sex, girly yet tomboyish, edgy yet classic, sexy yet respectable, edgy yet classic.  They were videoing and sharing their experiences with their fans long before YouTube even existed.  They lived in a world of ‘why not’ and encouraged others to as well.  And their girls' demeanors definitely made fans feel like whatever TLC did, they could do too.

I was one of those fans.  Their songs are a big part of the soundtrack of my life.  I loved the girls. They seemed like so much fun to hang out with it.  I felt like they were my big sisters.  I wanted to stand out like they did. I wanted to dress like them.  Hell, I’m still trying to get abs like them! They were the ultimate group and they gave their fans one of the best gifts by producing this movie and I will forever watch it when I’m channel-surfing on a lazy day!    

Xoxo, 



No comments: