Monday, February 24, 2014

Daniel Fast approved meals


The Daniel Fast features a plant-based diet.
A few weeks back, I talked about completing the Daniel Fast.  Although I was always interested in the fast, my biggest obstacle was the diet – vegan with restrictions… no meat, dairy, bread, sugar, processed foods, or beverages other than water. I had to think about food differently and create outside the lines. So here’s a snapshot of what I ate during those 21 days. 

Lots of fruits and vegetables – well duh, right?  I ate them raw, juiced, roasted, sautéed and lightly seasoned with sea salt or herbs, but not submerged in sugar-laced and processed sauces.  I also made smoothies and added enhancements like almond milk, flaxseed and/or almond butter.

When it’s super cold outside, I’m down for soup … Sunny and 86, not so much.  Fortunately, my 21 days were in the heart of January.  I made a very flavorful hearty veggie soup and a delish black bean soup, both of which I noshed on for days. Herbs and spices galore, organic vegetable broth and other fresh ingredients guaranteed both of these soups admission into my recipe book.   

L-R top -Takeout from Zoe's, Spinach,
and Red Pepper salad, L-R bottom - 

Kale and white beans, 
Black Bean soup
I also made variations of some of my favorite meals: pomodoro sauce with fresh tomatoes and basil, and no sugar; okra and tomatoes, with no sausage or seafood; and I worked on my perfecting my home fries, with no butter, of course.

I even managed to eat out.  When I went to non-health focused restaurants, I kept it simple with a baked potato and a side of veggies.  On the other hand, for a quick bite, I hit up Chipotle, one of my faves, and ordered a meatless bowl … and guacamole.  Being able to eat the guacamole was huge win for me because I.LOVE.GUACAMOLE and Chipotle is one of my top picks for the best.  During this time I was introduced to Zoe’s Kitchen, or should I say reintroduced.  I had tried Zoe’s before and was unimpressed.  Clearly, I had the wrong items.  During my fast, I fell in love with Zoe’s veggie kabobs and white beans!  And I was sooo happy to have a few dining out options that are actually healthy. 

Like I said in my original Daniel Fast post, I actually enjoyed my meals.  Whether I ate at home or out, planning was crucial.  With the wealth of choices that exist for food and dining, it’s so easy to not follow the plan but I took the diet aspect of the fast as a challenge and was inspired to think critically about my food options. Well, I succeeded and I am sooo proud of myself for following through with my commitment!  

Xoxo,

No comments: