| Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong'o on the red carpet at he Dolby Theatre in Hollywood for the 86th Academy Awards. |
Like many, I
have fallen in love with Lupita. I saw
her in 12 Years A Slave, which won the Oscar for Best Picture. The plight of
her character, Patsey, was just as memorable as that of Solomon, the film's main
character. As award nominations rolled
in, I was delighted 12 Years A Slave was receiving its just recognition. And then there was Lupita, who was also being
recognized for her work.
As part of
the Oscar campaign, she went on a media blitz that had her visiting
every talk show and hitting every red carpet.
When Lupita showed up, she showed out with a unique style that said ‘hello
world, I’m here!’ Each and every time,
her brightly hued designer fashions made a statement and earned her spot on the
best dressed list. Her style caused
people to notice her and because of the repetition of that style, they paid her
attention.
As you can
see, Lupita is not the typical American standard of beauty, which is why she
stands out and why people like me like her so much. She’s made her lane and she
owns it! To top it off, she is educated,
well-spoken and possesses a bubbly personality, lots of wit and confidence. More points for Lupita!
I love words,
and while I was #TeamLupita since seeing the movie last summer, it wasn’t until
I heard her acceptance speech for an earlier award that I fell I love with
her. Her choice of words is perfection, poetically
intertwining gratitude with humility and grace. Plus, she speaks so eloquently with
an intense passion and authenticity we rarely hear from anybody in Hollywood. Accepting the Academy Award was no different. She had most of us in tears. Perhaps it is because Lupita hasn’t been in
many feature films, or due to her wordly upbringing, or maybe she’s playing a
character (she is an actress, right?).
Who Knows? But I can say is that I love Lupita! I hope she maintains her
spark and apparent zest for life. I can’t
wait to see her in more films while taking the fashion industry by storm! Most
of all, I thank her for the reminder that ‘no matter where you’re from, your
dreams are valid.’
No comments:
Post a Comment