Saturday, May 3, 2014

My Trip to Philly

Thank God for friends … they really make you do the things you said you want to do! When my college friend Frankie told me to save the date for his wedding, of course I happily obliged. Then, as the planning progressed, Frankie and Tiffany (#thefraziers) announced that their big day would take place in her hometown of Philadelphia!  I was so psyched.  Not only was I able to support my friends as they started their life together, but I could also visit Philly, a place I had always wanted to go.

A few weeks ago, I made my way to Philly for a weekend stay. My hotel, the Philadelphia Lowes, was in the heart of the city.  It was a short walk or cab ride to most of the attractions.  In three days, I hit up Reading Terminal (twice actually), the African-American Museum, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross’ house and went on a nearly three hour tour of the city on one of the red double decker buses. I even did a little shopping at Macy’s and enjoyed window-shopping at a few of the boutiques near Rittenhouse Square. 

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Philly.  What I got was a place that mixes the old with new (think glass office buildings among 18th century row houses), where a diverse and eclectic culture shape the landscape, and where down home family values meet cosmopolitan east coast living. The one thing I didn’t fully experience is the city’s food.  Yeah I know food is my thing but for whatever reason, I didn’t peg Philly as the foodie town it is. I didn’t even have a Philly Cheesesteak (I just wasn’t in the mood).  But, I did have some great soul food from a place at Reading Terminal, whose name I can’t recall, and the best lobster roll ever from Luke’s Lobster.  My next trip, I plan on going on a foodie tour of the city.

Last but not least, Frankie and Tiffany’s wedding took place at The Merion, an event facility in a New Jersey suburb of Philly.  This place was absolutely gorgeous!  There were so many rooms and each would be considered great on their own.  Together, I was just wowed. Grand, modern, yet old world, columns, crystal chandeliers, and soft colors. The Merion didn’t even need a lot of décor.  And, this place had a-m-a-z-i-n-g food, one of my most important elements to a great event. To top it off, the energy of the wedding was everything! You could literally feel the love in The Merion that night. 


So my first visit to the City of Brotherly Love was most definitely one to remember, made richer by celebrating the love of #thefraziers!  

Xoxo, 

And the photos ... 



Macy's was one block from my hotel.  Formerly a bank, I was so enamored 
with the architecture that I almost forgot why I went there, almost. 


 Betsy Ross' House is a historic monument and tourist attraction.  On the right is City 
Hall, which has its own rich history and is the largest municipal building in the US.

Just a few more sightings: I love revitalized buildings so seeing this Starbucks 
was cool.  Horse and carriages are always fun and this guy is helping this 
girl walk what looks like a tight rope outside one of Philly's many art galleries.

No comments: