Machete; Photo courtesy
of Mexican Sugar.
|
Like many
other attractions, my first impression of Mexican Sugar was one of lust, then
it went downhill after that. Where do I begin?
Mexican Sugar has been open for a few months now. It’s at the Shops at Legacy, where all the restaurants
fall into one of two categories: the newest location of an already established eatery
or the latest offering from famed chefs or restaurant groups. Mexican Sugar is the latter, hailing from the
same group that introduced one of my favorite Plano restaurants, Whiskey
Cake. Now, I LOVE Whiskey Cake, so
naturally I thought I would love Mexican Sugar.
Boy was I wrong!
I was so
excited to meet my friend Tanya at Mexican Sugar on a beautiful pre-spring day
(technically it was winter but it was almost 80 degrees and gorgeous out!). I couldn’t wait to sit outside; but, since
nice weather in Dallas means every patio is poppin’, the area was full so inside
we went. The restaurant was beautiful! It’s spacious, with a huge eye-catching
bar, communal tables, and even a fire place with big, comfy chairs, all of
which is in addition to, and in the midst of, a regular dining room with
booths, tables etc. But, great décor
alone does not make a good restaurant.
For me, there are these super important elements called food and
beverages that Mexican Sugar did not make the grade on.
| Grapefruit Paloma; Photo courtesy
of Mexican Sugar.
|
Let’s start
with the drinks. The only time I don’t
order adult beverages when I dine out is when I’m fasting, or when I’m just
unable to drink anymore liquor (yes, I do sometimes get tired of drinking!). Neither of these situations applied during my
visit. In fact, I was in a celebratory
mood and wanted to get buzzed. Did.Not.Happen.
I ordered the
Machete, a really cute looking drink
with Serrano infused tequila, melon and some other mixology stuff. It’s garnished with a Serrano pepper and a
watermelon wedge. If only it tasted as
good as it looked! If you’ve done the
Master Cleanse aka the lemonade diet, you’re familiar with the not so great
tasting drink where cayenne pepper overpowers everything else. Well, that’s how I felt about the
Machete. It was more like a pepper spritzer
and I gladly sent it back to the bar.
Next I
ordered the Grapefruit Paloma, which
was tequila, grapefruit juice and some other stuff. It wasn’t bad but was quite forgettable and I
should’ve just ordered a classic margarita.
Queso Blanco; Photo courtesy of Mexican Sugar.
|
About the
food (SIGH). So they don’t give you chips and salsa at Mexican Sugar. No big deal; but, if I’m going to compare to
other Mexican/Latin –style Dallas restaurants, I had to have some. We actually tried chips, salsa and queso.
Some of the chips were stale. Like
stuck-in-my-teeth stale. Neither of us
felt like sending them back so we just ate around the bad ones. Queso is not really my thing so while I ate
it and it was ok, I really wasn’t critiquing it. The salsa was thin and average at best.
Then came carnitas tacos, though I lost some of
my excitement after the drinks and chips.
Thankfully, I wasn’t anxiously awaiting a super yummy dish because
that’s not what I got. The carnitas were
bland. I hate to even type that!
Carnitas are supposed to be packed with herbs, spices and bold flavor,
especially when they’re topped with red onions, cilantro and pineapple pico
salsa nestled in a homemade corn
tortilla. As I pouted over my food, Tanya jokingly said, ‘is Chipotle
better than that?’ Well, yes actually,
Chipotle’s carnitas are better. .. by far. The tacos were served with a side of
Brussels Sprouts Shred which would’ve been great with more salt. I also ordered a side of Papas Fritas (french
fries) which was really good… but do you go to a Mexican restaurant for fries?
Carnitas Tacos. Photo courtesy of me and my iPhone. Can
you see the Papa Fritas in the back? |
Last but not
least, we ordered the Chocolate Avocado
Cake. It was awesome! Not too big, it was perfect for two girls to
share. Moist and not too chocolaty, I
wish I had ordered coffee to go with it. The cake was hand-down the best part
of the meal.
So, overall I rate Mexican Sugar 1/5. I’m not even open to a second visit, nor will
I recommend it to others. The restaurant gets rave reviews from patrons online
and through word -of-mouth. However, I was extremely disappointed and
dissatisfied with most every aspect of the meal and I just feel Mexican Sugar
is not the place for me.
If you’ve
been, drop me a line about your experience. I’d love to hear another person’s
opinion!
No comments:
Post a Comment