Thursday, November 27, 2014

A belle at the (Margarita) ball

I recently had the pleasure of attending the Dallas Margarita Ball for the first time. The invite-only ball, in its 39th year,  is HUGE with over 12,000 generous partygoers who raise money and collect items for children’s charities that serve at-risk youth. 

The ball took over the Sheraton hotel. There were people everywhere and lines for everything! In fact, it took us almost 45 minutes to get from the entrance of the hotel into the ball itself. Part of that journey was submitting our toy donations. Spanning an entire wall, it’s really hard to describe just how big the mound of toys was. So much so that I wish I had taken photos of the thousands upon thousands of toys. You had to see it to believe it. Ah well, there’s always next year. 

There’s three floors of entertainment, each having an area with a live band and a ballroom with a dj, and all playing different types of music. There was also a silent auction and raffles, casino tables… it was just so much going on. 

My cousin Joele referred to it as the society event of the year. I wouldn’t dare call it that but I will say that it was a nice crowd of folks. It was Black Tie and everyone looked fashionably fabulous! It was a sight to see. Everyone was dressed to the the dress code. Everyone! How often does that happen?  And, I didn’t see any dress duplicates. How often does that happen? 


Not only was everyone appropriately dressed, I saw very few out of control drunks, which is quite surprising considering the free flowing Jose Cuervo margaritas (hence the name, Margarita Ball). I heard they ran out of margaritas, but that wasn’t my experience. I was quite satisfied with my fair share. :) 

To top it all off, the crowd was very diverse, in age and ethnicity, which is often hard to come by in Dallas. Then again, I guess that’s what happens when you have thousands of people in one place.  

Being my first time at the ball, it was a lot to take in - thousands of people, thousands of toys, free margaritas, games and choice of music. I was overwhelmed but unfazed. I loved dressing up and sipping on my favorite drink among a sea of beautiful people who were out for a fun Saturday night, all while partying with a purpose! 


Xo, 


No comments: