Sunday, August 17, 2014

Restaurant Review: CBD Provisions

I have been eating out A LOT lately and have had several very delicious meals worth talking about.  Unfortunately, I have been suffering from too many food comas to write any reviews. Until Now. This one was too good not to share. 

About two weeks ago, I had the pleasure of dining at CBD Provisions, a newish restaurant located downtown at The Joule Hotel, just a few blocks from my office. The restaurant made it on my list early this summer when someone mentioned it to me in a raving review. Then I started making weekly visits to Weekend, the hotel’s coffee shop which has been a great place to grab a cappuccino and an afternoon snack while I find my creative zone. With every trip to Weekend, I vowed to change CBD’s status from ‘must-go’ to ‘went.’ And that I did! I went for a breakfast meeting and it was cool to see the morning activity and even a few hotel guests grabbing a bite, which reminded me that it is The Joule’s only full-service restaurant.   
I won’t spend much time on the decor.  Let’s just say it’s very Dallas - big, beautiful, upscale and modern. Its purpose is not only to be another fabulous restaurant in this foodie town but also to be an anchor for the in-progress revitalization staged to bring relevance back to downtown Dallas.

Let me start by saying I absolutely love breakfast.  I have always been one to start my day off  with a good meal and CBD did not disappoint. The food was AMAZING! For me, a good breakfast means coffee and eggs, at minimum.  So I ordered french press coffee (two big cups) with cream, and the Two Eggs breakfast, which translated to scrambled eggs, cheese grits served in a cast-iron skillet, house made pork sausage patties, red wheat toast and a few jellies. 

Breakfast tasted as yummy as it looked! Everything was well-seasoned and full of flavor, and perfectly cooked. I was especially pleased with the consistency of the eggs (fluffy and thoroughly cooked) and grits (thick, but not gritty), but I will say there was definitely a portion of cream and cheese mixed in, par for the course in nicer restaurants.  In no way am I complaining, just making note that this breakfast would qualify as a cheat meal … worth every calorie.  
   
My eyes were bigger than my stomach though it didn’t seem like it was an abundance of food until I had my fill and realized I only ate half of it. I was sad to see my leftovers get trashed but I couldn’t complain. My breakfast brought such joy to my heart, giving me a happy face for the rest of the day! 

So, overall, I give CBD 5/5!  It was everything I needed it to be!  And while I’m happy I’ve tried breakfast at CBD Provisions, I still have to get there for lunch or dinner (or both!) and have to try their famed Pig Head Carnitas. Oh, and I’m not the only one talking about CBD Provisions.  It was named number six on Southernliving.com’s 100 Best Restaurants in the South list.  Not bad for a rookie!

Xoxo,




No comments: