Saturday, April 25, 2015

Bruce Jenner: The Interview … just wow!

Photo cred: ABC News

I was really psyched for “Bruce Jenner: The Interview.” I’m a huge fan of Kardashian TV and this overhyped interview seemed in line with their other programming. I was hoping to learn all about Bruce’s decision to transition to a woman. I can honestly say, I learned much more. Not only was the interview enlightening and educational, it was truly thought-provoking. Bravo Bruce and ABC!



For me, the interview had two key themes - Bruce’s decision and the struggle that comes with living one’s truth. 

Let’s start with Bruce. He walked us through his life including his childhood where he secretly wore his sister’s dresses, representing the United States at the Olympics and taking home the gold medal, becoming the world’s greatest athlete, his three (failed) marriages, his six biological children and his reemergence in the spotlight as step-father to the four Kardashians and reality TV dad. Throughout, he shared key incidents that contributed to his ultimate decision of transitioning to a woman.  

While Diane Sawyer couldn't get over the fact that Bruce was a staunch republican or that he is not attracted to men, I couldn’t get over the fact that he attempted transitioning nearly 30 years ago. It makes so much sense. He was so handsome in his younger days, yet endured many facial plastic surgeries. I assumed, as did many others, that Bruce felt the pressures of aging in Hollywood and decided plastic surgery was the answer. We now know the purpose of those surgeries was to remove many of his masculine features. 

After years of transitioning, even taking hormones that created B cup breasts, Bruce decided he didn't want to go through the process anymore. He didn’t want to hurt his family. His older children, though still young, could see physical changes. I assume more plastic surgery was done to neutralize his looks.  

Fast forward to the 2010’s. He’s filming the biggest reality show in the world. He thinks to himself that with all their various story lines, he has the ultimate story … if only he was willing to tell it.

Bruce’s decision was not an easy one. In addition to his children, he has an 80+ year-old conservative mother and an entire world that’s watching. He finally came to a point where he realized, at 65-years-old, he did not want to die knowing he did not live in his truth. And so he decided he was going to live as a woman. 

From macho man, super athlete, dad to way more kids than most, husband to way more wives than most to middle-aged woman. 

I say “Go Bruce!” I can’t imagine everything Bruce has been through - the intensity of the deliberations that went into this decision and the sense of relief that came with saying “yes” to himself. Often, it’s easier on others for one to live a status quo life than it is on oneself. We only have one life to live and one person we must answer to, so it’s imperative that we live our best life.  

Bruce said he was happy (about his decision) but alluded to being lonely. I’m amazed; but, not surprised, when people are lonely, especially those who are always surrounded by many. Personally, I can understand how you can have someone in your space yet still feel lonely. You’re there physically; but, your emotions aren’t welcomed. It’s very real and I know it happens when you’re not living in your truth.

Also, kudos to ABC. Though I was very interested in this interview, I thought it would be a sensational celebrity piece. However, it was a well-developed, informative look into the very complex transgender world. 

I learned so much about what it means to be transgender, not simply what it looks like. Most of all, it made me understand the hurt that accompanies that life. Several transgenders shared stories of discrimination, and extreme hate, and then there were stories of acceptance. The show even mentioned Renee Richards, whose must-see 30 for 30 documentary chronicles her fight to play professional tennis as a woman following gender reassignment surgery. 

Another topic that was touched on was suicide and how prominent the concept is with transgenders. Bruce even said he contemplated it briefly, thinking it was an easy way out. Suicide has been featured in more headlines in the media as of late. It really worries me and this interview confirmed for me that when people don’t feel accepted, and they feel lonely, they sometimes turn to suicidal thoughts. 

I cried my eyes out during the two-hour show. I watched with pain in my heart as Bruce and others declared that they simply want to live as who they really are. But isn't that what we all want? No matter if we’re transgender, female, male, gay, straight, black, white, college-educated, blue collar, wealthy, poor etc., we all just want to live authentically. 

And in an interview that had more memorable quotes than an episode of Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday, my favorite was when Bruce said, “everyone deserves to be loved for who they are.”


Xo, 

No comments: