I wanted to
share this story… just because.
Today in
church, I chatted up the lady sitting next to me. She proudly talked about her sons and her
twelve grandchildren, while her husband of 42 years sat on the other side of
her. I found her to be very delightful! As
the conversation progressed, one revelation led to another then another and we
finally landed on why they moved to Dallas.
Simple relocation to be near the grandchildren, right? I’ve met many maw maws and paw paws who’ve
done that. In this instance, it wasn’t
so simple.
Last thanksgiving,
she and her husband visited for the holiday.
Their daughter-in-law complained of recurring headaches. Soon they found themselves in the emergency room
where a brain tumor was discovered.
Despite surgery, the illness progressed and four months later, their daughter-in-law
passed away… she was a mother to five, a step-mother to two and only 36 years
old. My church friend and her husband had moved to help their son and young grandchildren through this difficult time. This story broke my heart. As I tried to fight back tears, my church friend
remained calm. She didn’t project an
image of sadness but instead appeared to be in peace.
In my life, I
have said that happiness means peace. It
doesn’t mean that things are going my way or that I understand why things aren’t
going as planned. It doesn’t mean that life is not chaotic, or just plain out
insane. It just means that despite all of that, I know that I will be all right
and I have a lot to be thankful for.
I wonder if
that’s how she feels.
Xoxo,
No comments:
Post a Comment